Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall flowers


When you shop at the market, do you buy yourself flowers?  I love to do it.  After I've bought all the vegetables and fruits I can carry, flowers are like the frosting on the cake.  Aren't those pink flowers a riot?  In college, my roommates and I would go to the nearby farmers' market, and when we discovered those flowers, we named them "brain flowers."  They're actually called Celosia Cristata, or Giant Cockscombs.  You learn something new every day!


I went to World Market after the Green City Market, to pick up a couple of things to decorate the dining room table for fall.  If you just get a little creative, you can decorate so cheaply!  I got two patterned napkins, a straw placemat, and a couple of tiny votives.  I spend $12 on that.  Then I went to Family Dollar and got 3 little bags of river rocks ($3 total), which I poured into quart-size Mason jars which I filled with water to hold my gorgeous flowers.  These guys are really heavy - they need the rocks so they don't fall over.  Isn't it pretty?  I'm really happy with how simple and colorful it is.  What are your tricks for low-cost seasonal decorating?  (P.S. Did you know that you can dry the brain flowers?  Just hang them upside-down!  They retain most of their vibrant color, and the flower lady at the market told me they make a beautiful Christmas tree decoration!)


6 comments:

  1. Haha! Brain flowers! I remember those! I was just thinking to myself today that I need to buy some light pink roses. (This is Rachel by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. curtidas no insta

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is said you never have a second chance to make a first impression. You should therefore take your time when choosing the appropriate gift. Fruit flower baskets are used by many as gifts. Flori in Cluj Napoca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! check this link

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrysanthemums. Beautiful Mums have long, tightly overlapping petals.
    We are providing Home Renovation Services in California that change your ordinary home into the dream home. What ever the project is we deliver you marvellous results.

    ReplyDelete