Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Heat Wave Salad


I made a vow when summer started that I would not complain - not once! - about the heat.  I am still not complaining.  I will not break my vow, and I still remember how long and horrible last winter was.  I feel thankful.  But I would like to comment that it is so hot and humid outside this week that I actually have to walk more slowly.  And I don't really feel motivated to cook; my air conditioner is working hard enough as it is.

Persian cucumbers and baby heirloom tomatoes
I actually really like the heat.  I like most things about summer.  Like the fact that things are growing, and even vegetables sometimes taste like candy.  Like thunderstorms.  Like going to the beach, like u-pick farms, like baseball games and hot dogs and incredible sunsets.


So last night I breathed a prayer of thanks for the heat, and made hot dogs and salad for dinner. 



Heat Wave Salad

I wanted to put watermelon in this salad, but my watermelon had gone bad in the fridge.  Did you know that when watermelon goes bad, it ferments a little and starts to taste slightly like wine?  I mean, I don't recommend letting it go bad and then eating it, but I tasted it to make sure, and yup, kind of like wine!

1 Persian cucumber, halved and sliced in 1/4-in half-moons
1 cup baby heirloom (or cherry) tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 nectarine, cubed
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 sprig each cilantro and mint, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon avocado oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss together until produce is covered with dressing.

Yield: One huge serving, or two normal servings.  You can take a wild guess what I did.

1 comment: