Friday, July 1, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday!

1.

Thank you to my employer for the lovely gift of a four-day holiday weekend.  I will thoroughly enjoy it, despite the fact that there are deadly thunder/hailstorms AND a high of 96... at the same time.  Prayin' for improvement for the rest of the weekend.  A couple girlfriends and I were planning to go have a beach picnic today, and it doesn't look like that will be advisable.  Ah, well.  I guess I'll unpack a couple more boxes, and finally choose a paint color for the dining room.


2.


I'm all about simple meals right now.  Last night for dinner, I sliced a baguette, and ate it with butter and sliced radishes.  It was very satisfying.  Today for lunch, I'm making a salad of watermelon, arugula, cubes of feta, and fresh mint.  With baguettes and some strawberry jam I made yesterday.  And cherries that my friend is bringing over.  And chilled rose.  I love long weekends, because I like drinking wine with my lunch.

3.

Did you know that's what a whole garlic plant looks like?  I sure didn't.


 

Farmers' market update!  It is really summer now, and I know because I can't just get one of everything that looks fresh anymore.  I have to make decisions.  Everything looks great, and it makes me so very happy.  So yesterday's haul included more rhubarb (I could hardly believe my eyes!), strawberries, garlic with the garlic scapes intact (which look like something straight out of a Dr. Seuss book), fresh fava beans, arugula, baby pattypan squash and zucchini, and these amazing gladiolus. 

The farmers' market is also more crowded now, packed with lunchtime shoppers and random people giving out coupons and stuff.  Yesterday there was a group there handing out cards that said "May we pray for you?" and listed an e-mail address for round-the-clock prayer requests (prayerchicago@yahoo.com, if you're interested).  One guy stopped me and offered me a card, and said, "Is there anything that I can pray for you for?" and I thought for a second, and then I said, "Well, I have a headache."  He looked at me, a little surprised (I assume that most people take the card, avoid eye contact, and then throw the card away), and then said, "OK!  ...Do you want me to pray with you right now?"  I thought, why not?  And so in the middle of a very crowded market, this sweet young man prayed that God would relieve me of my headache and bless my day.  I was so touched by the purity of that interaction.


4.
I bought a canning kit!  I've had my eyes peeled for Mason jars for a couple of weeks, because I knew I wanted to put up some of my own food this year, and I haven't seen them anywhere!  I learned yesterday that last year, Ball (the company that makes most of the Mason jars that I've ever seen) completely sold out!  They've ramped up production this year to meet the growing demand.  People are growing food and processing it themselves!  I think this is really exciting.  I also got a dozen pint jars and a dozen half-pint.  I'm going to make rhubarb jam this weekend so that I can break it out in the middle of winter and have myself a rhubarb party.

5.


I'm still trying to decide what to make for our 4th of July meal.  The one thing I'm sure about is Red, White and Blue Berry Shortcakes (a slightly sweet biscuit with strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream).  To me, that is an unbeatable Independence Day dessert.  I'm also thinking about making the Pioneer Woman's Dr. Pepper Pork with cole slaw.  I wish my dad was here with his hickory smoker... that man makes a mean Memphis-style pulled pork sandwich.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.  Sadly, I only have a regular ol' grill.  What are you cooking and eating this weekend?

6.

  
I love fireworks.  When I'm watching them, I still ooh and aaaahhhh and clap like a little kid.  Because I think that reacting to things like a little kid would, and reveling in the joy of them, is one of the greatest things in life. 

7.

My uncle will be conducting the United States Air Force Ceremonial Brass on the Today Show on July 4!  Make sure you watch it!!!  Have a wonderful weekend!  And head over to Jen's for more Quick Takes!



No comments:

Post a Comment