Friday, October 21, 2011

7 Quick Takes: Things to Eat in New England!

It's been a hectic week around here!  No time for posting!  I'm seriously sad about that, but in lieu of several long, self-indulgent posts about all of the things we ate on vacation, I will translate them into seven little quick takes!

1.


Cannoli!  Mike's Pastry in the North End of Boston has about a million flavors - I decided to try espresso and pistachio ones.  They were fantastic!  I ate a giant dish of linguine alle vongole (omg yum) before we went for cannoli, so I wasn't able to eat them all, but leftover cannoli?  Unbelievable breakfast.  I ate them out on our little balcony overlooking these old brownstones, and writing in my journal.

2.


Dim sum at Myers + Chang.  These are kimchee pancakes.  We also had short rib and pork bao, pork dumplings, noodles with spicy peanut sauce, and  miso-glazed carrots, which I will be recreating for Thanksgiving.  So delicious.  And a great Sunday lunch in the middle of a long day of riding bikes around Boston! 

3.


ICE CREAM!  Maybe it's because famous-for-dairy Vermont is next door, or maybe it's because we were on vacation, but this was some of the best ice cream either of us is ever had.  J.P. Licks.  Believe.

4.


Oysters!  I've been wanting to eat oysters ever since I read Hemingway's A Moveable Feast a couple of years ago, but wanted to wait until I was sure to have a good experience before I did.  I finally took the plunge last week, and I'm both glad I tried them and glad I waited.  Atlantic Fish Co.  in Boston was the perfect place to eat such an amazing food for the first time.  More to come about oysters later, but for now, this is one of the loveliest pieces of food writing ever crafted:

"As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans."  (from A Moveable Feast)

5.


Clam chowder.  I ate it a couple of times, but the most fun chowda stop was this roadside diner in New Hampshire.  The sign outside said, "Come hungry, LEAF happy."  BAHAHAHA!  Gotta love puns.

6.


A lobster roll.  At a lobster shack.  By a lighthouse.  In a place called Cape Elizabeth (in Maine).  On a blustery, rainy, cold North Atlantic day.  Fabulous.

7.


Spit-roasted rabbit at Fore Street in Portland, Maine.  Another first for me.  Actually tastes like chicken, but it's just leaner and more muscley.  It was served with a lentil/cranberry/ginger sauce that made me crazy (and felt like more Thanksgiving dinner inspiration...).  Fore Street is a really cool restaurant, too - the open kitchen is in the center of the restaurant, so you can see the action.  Everything was fresh and seasonal and local and delicious.  So fun.

Have a great weekend!  Hopefully next week will be a little calmer and I'll be posting more often!

Visit Jen for more quick takes.

1 comment:

  1. It is called New England because it was the first part of the US where people from England.
    We are providing Private Transportation Services in Vail CO that ensure you smooth and comfy travel to get you to your desired places

    ReplyDelete