Friday, December 23, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries

Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries

It's almost Christmas!  This veggie dish is a holiday table triple-threat: seasonal, healthy, and so festive!  I'm taking it to a Christmas potluck party this afternoon; if you're thinking that bringing brussels sprouts to a potluck is a bold move, you are right.  We'll see how it goes.  But these are so pretty and taste so good!  Good enough that I'm going to make them for Christmas dinner at my parents' house, too, to go alongside the ham and potatoes.  Yum!  Can't wait!

brussels sprouts and cranberries

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries

2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved, woody ends trimmed
1 bag fresh cranberries, picked over for questionable ones
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a rimmed baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.  Arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer, and spray them with cooking spray.  Roast sprouts for 15 minutes, stir, add cranberries to the baking sheet, and roast 10 more minutes, until sprouts are slightly caramelized, and berries pop.  Remove from oven, cool slightly, and transfer to a bowl.  Add lemon juice and zest, ginger, and maple syrup, and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.




2 comments:

  1. Ok, I had to go through your website to find this one and tell you I did my German-using-what-was-in-my-fridge improvisation from what I remembered of this post to make this as the base for my dinner tonight! I had brussel sprouts and some fresh currants that have been less fresh by the day in my fridge. So while I was reheating my coconut oil fried chicken breast in *more coconut oil* (said in the Paula Dean voice) I chopped the sprouts up and then tossed them with the red currants, some apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper then tossed the chicken atop. Fantastic! You are an inspiration Elizabeth! Miss you!!!

    PS: When are you going to post something about that rye pie dough you were making? I wanna know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to buy your next plinth cheaply look no further. At Sokkelpuds.dk, we collect current offers and prices on Sokkelpudser every day from a large number of good dealers from Denmark so you always have an easy and quick overview. sokkelpuds.dk

    ReplyDelete