Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Morning Muffins


As I've said before, I have a lot of beliefs about breakfast.  I believe that breakfast is one of our inalienable rights, and should not be denied.  (Sorry, we've been watching John Adams.)  Seriously, though, I love breakfast.  I rarely eat the same things two mornings in a row, and while I do have some old standbys (yogurt and granola, avocado toast, leftover veggies and scrambled eggs), I like to try new things.  But last week, when I stopped to treat myself to a muffin on the way to work, I was pretty disappointed in the cakelike, sickly-sweet banana nut muffin I got saddled with.  I made it my mission, right then and there, to create for myself a worthy banana counterpart.  And friends, I have succeeded.

Behold, the perfect Monday (or any other) morning muffin.  It has:
  • 100% whole wheat flour,
  • oatmeal,
  • walnuts,
  • bananas,
  • ground flaxseed,
  • raisins,
  • and love.
Enjoy!





Monday Morning Muffins

I actually made these muffins on Saturday night, because I'm really cool.  Who needs to go out to a bar when you can watch TV on the couch and bake?  Once the muffins are fully cooled, you can freeze them, and then take them out one at a time each night so they'll be fresh and ready for you in the morning.  If you have one of those coffeemakers with a timer, it's almost like someone else made you breakfast.  And what could be better than that on Monday?

Note: I made jumbo muffins, but if you're making regular-size ones, you might need to decrease the baking time a little.  Check them after about 18-20 minutes.

2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
2 large, overripe bananas, smashed
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained (to plump 'em up)
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray muffin pans with cooking spray, or line with paper liners, or if you want loaves instead of muffins, grease and flour 2 standard loaf pans.  Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and beat.  Add bananas and milk and mix.  Add remaining ingredients, and mix until just combined.  Spoon batter into tins, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.  For loaves, the cooking time will be between 45 minutes and an hour. 

Yield: 8 jumbo muffins, 16 regular-size muffins, or two loaves.

2 comments:

  1. I'm eager to try these! It's sad, but it was only recently that I was even introduced to the idea that muffins and cake are not essentially the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, muffins with some substance are way better in the morning. Hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete