Wednesday, October 14, 2015

In Praise of My Postpartum Body

The world tells me that my postpartum body is something to be ashamed of and hidden away.

That I should do everything in my power to get "my body back."

Let me tell you something: my body never left.

My body is the miraculous, shapeshifting form of a woman. Always has been, always will be.

My body is still mine. It was mine in the fatigue and nausea of the first trimester. It was mine in the proud swelling and high energy of the second trimester. It was mine in the heartburn and stretch marks and exhaustion of the last few weeks.

My body built a baby. And then my body did humankind's hardest work to bring that baby into the world.

IMG_2627

I don't want my pre-baby body "back." I bear the marks of a woman who has been on a journey, an adventure.

I'll keep this body, with its aches and scars. I've earned this body doing my life's work.

My body and I are good friends. If I listen, it tells me just what it needs. Rest. Water. Good food. Walks outside, a little longer every day. The embrace of my loved ones. Laughter.

My body is strong, capable. I will carry it with pride, because it is a great gift, and through its mysterious, miraculous transforming I have received the most precious gifts of my life: my beautiful daughters.

IMG_2613

IMG_2625

IMG_2616








7 comments:

  1. I adore you, and your lovely girls. Such magnificent words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! You're beautiful. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really, really good. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Google will love your blogger too. 온라인슬롯머신추천
    I want you to be interested in us too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cette réplique de chaussure Nike est d'une qualité parfaite et confortable à porter.parfait nike air max Vous la porterez lorsque vous voyagerez et vous ne vous fatiguerez pas. pas cher air huarache Je recommande ce site à mes bons amis, ils sont très heureux d'acheter des chaussures Nike pas chères

    ReplyDelete
  6. great postpartum body you must know someone good for your tiling works in dubai right ??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tornos USADOS Baratos is the best things for the body can i try it ??

    ReplyDelete