Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Garden Update {8.3.2015}: Death, Destruction, and Starting Over

Garden 8.3.2015:: coppertopkitchen.blogspot.com

Yesterday I went to my garden to check out the damage. It was really bad. Really, really bad. It turns out that the mystery herbicide that was sprayed (and damaged about half the beds in the community garden) was RoundUp, which is not exactly something you want to eat. So the organizers of the garden encouraged everyone with an affected bed to pull out all the plants so the soil can be amended and repaired.

Garden 8.3.2015:: coppertopkitchen.blogspot.com

I am not ashamed to say that I broke down and sobbed as I pulled all my poor, dead plants out of the ground. I am heartbroken, not to mention more than a little angry that all the time and money I poured into this little piece of earth is now rendered a total waste. No ripe cherry tomatoes for Anne to pick off the vine and eat, no little baby pumpkins to make into pie. No pickles, no quarts of sun-warmed San Marzano tomatoes to make into pizza and pasta all winter long.

Garden 8.3.2015:: coppertopkitchen.blogspot.com

I. Am. So. Sad.

Garden 8.3.2015:: coppertopkitchen.blogspot.com

Garden 8.3.2015:: coppertopkitchen.blogspot.com

Tomorrow, gardeners will gather to do what we can to fix the soil, and then I guess we will re-plant. What can you plant in mid-August, fellow gardeners? What can I look forward to? Any ideas to help pull me from the depths of despair? I appreciate your help and suggestions!

*In case you're wondering, here's what we're adding to the soil to help eliminate the toxins and restore it to a place where you want to grow food:

- an activated charcoal called Biogize SD to absorb and detox the chemicals that may remain in the soil
- Food Safe Zeolite to help further detox the soil and help boost the new plants going in to better take on the nutrients it needs
- Garrett Juice, a concentrated organic spray to reenergize the microorganisms living in the soil that will eat toxins. 

More to come soon.





















3 comments:

  1. Oh honey...this is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry! If you want basil, I have an abundance growing in my window pot and will definitely bring some over to you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I would love some. I don't think we can plant for like a week after the soil is fixed, but I will keep you posted! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. repliche rolex orologi, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of repliche rolex submariner orologi, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete