Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lovely Links (January 2013)

Jan2013Links


1. I got new glasses! 
2. Anne and I went to a concert celebrating Black Heritage. 
3. Wind chill of something like -20 degrees, sunrise and steam off the lake. 
4. Smiles. 
5. The weirdest weather I ever did see. 
6. Wellies!

I can hardly believe January is already coming to a close! It seems just yesterday we were popping champagne corks, kissing, and making resolutions. Now we're dealing with schizophrenic weather and looking for groundhogs. Here are some fabulous things I came across in my travels around the world wide web this month:

-A thought-provoking look at the question of how to deal with weight issues in children, and a book I can't wait to read.

-These all-natural lip balms come in amazing flavor combos, and would make a perfect gift for your Valentine.

-Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies! Oh my!

-A really cool project from the New York Public Library compiling restaurant menus that date back to the 1850's.

-The colors in this Glazed Beet and Carrot Salad make me crazy. Who says winter is gray and blah?

-An adorable little DIY headband. Pink petals! Yay!

-Eating well all week long starts with braised pork shoulder.

-Pride and Prejudice turned 200, and this is how Chicago celebrated.

-Quick, someone have a birthday so I can make you these adorable multicolored sugar cookies!

-I defy anyone to make it to the end of this without crying. Such a lovely read.

-I keep seeing preserved lemons in ingredients lists, and I think I'm going to try my hand at making them myself. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Lemons + salt + time?

-Tina Fey's thoughts on body image.

-How to shuck oysters, and a few recipe ideas; they're an aphrodisiac, you know.

-What if a Jewish immigrant working in a pickle factory in Brooklyn in 1912 was preserved in brine for 100 years (stay with me) and came out in 2012 to interact with his great grandson?

-A train ride and thoughts on temporarily retreating from technology. Also, travel cocktails.

-A few more sweets for your sweetie: Valentine's Checkerboard Cookies, Intensely Chocolate Sables, Dark Chocolate Cherry Cordial Brownies, and Whiskey Walnut Blondies.

1 comment:

  1. Never fear! My 30th is at the end of the month! If you bake and send them now they might make it in time for the party!

    ReplyDelete