Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Muesli

Meusli

Let's talk new year's resolutions for a minute. Some people don't get really into this, but I just can't pass up an opportunity to look at my life through a different lens and see what could do with changing. I don't just do it when a new year rolls around. I do it again during Lent, and then again in the fall, when the new school year signals a fresh start once again. Do you get sucked into it?

I tend to make too many resolutions, all of which are too large and too vague. Example of one such lame resolution: "Work out more often." So this year, I tried to just focus on a couple of simple things, which are doable but will make a positive impact on my life.  Here's my list:

books

1) Don't buy any new books. It took me a solid two weeks of pondering before this resolution made its way from idea to spoken words. I was scared to say it out loud because I so dearly love to buy books. Perusing a used bookstore is definitely one of my top three favorite ways to spend an afternoon, particularly a rainy one. And then there's Amazon, which makes book-buying much too easy. Years of this behavior have landed me with shelves overflowing with books which I am ashamed to say I've never read. So my goal is to start plowing my way through books I deemed interesting enough to pay money for, and then was never in the mood to start. I'm working on compiling a list of these books on my Library page, if you're interested.

2) Write for ten minutes a day. With a pen, in a journal, for nobody but myself. It's a small enough amount of time that I'll feel silly if I skip it, but it feels great and often turns into a bit more time.

I was all set and feeling great about my two simple resolutions, when I found this list: 20 New Year's Resolutions for 20-Somethings. I encourage you to read the whole thing - it's funny, and points a non-judgmental, self-deprecating finger at some of the pitfalls of living and relating in the digital age. These two are my favorites, and so they have been added:

3) Call someone on the phone at least once a week, and speak to him or her for at least ten minutes. Remember the phone? It's the thing that you use to look up random facts and play Angry Birds, but originally it was invented to help you have conversations with real people using your voice. I'm excited to get back to that. Friends, be on the lookout for phone calls. And I'm going to call and call until I reach someone, so please, if I call you, pick up. :)

4) Find a way to save approximately 300 dollars and spend it on a flight to see a friend or family member who lives far away. What could be a more worthwhile destiny for your money than to bring you closer to your loved ones? I'm headed to Colorado for the next few days to see my grandmother, whom I haven't seen for more than three years. I'm almost giddy with excitement. Oh, and I'm going to be completely unplugged while I'm there, so I'll see you when I get back!

Muesli

I hesitate to even call this a recipe, because it's so easy and requires no cooking at all. I eat it every year for breakfast on my birthday, which was a couple of days ago.

1 grated apple (tart and crunchy is best)
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
handful of roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar

Toss all ingredients together and enjoy. Recipe serves one, but is easily multiplied for sharing.

3 comments:

  1. As a lover of Meusli (this particular one especially!!), I recommend whirring the milk, sugar (and I reduce the sugar to 1 Tbsp...but that's just me! :)...), and lemon juice in a blender. It makes a thicker sauce and adds a bit of oomph. Oh so yummy, thank you for the reminder; it has been WAY too long since I've had it! Give Bajee a hug from her youngest! Enjoy the peace and solitude! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are fabulous goals, and I may add a new one to mine: try meusli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meusli and yogurt...mmmmmm.

    Word verification is mycla, wich sounds like off brand meusli.

    ReplyDelete